Monday, September 12, 2011

A few thoughts (and a picture) from yesterday

I had a hard time wrapping my mind around yesterday… September 11th.

10 years and one day earlier, I was innocent, I was immature. I didn’t know the name Osama Bin Laden. Didn’t know what terrorism was. I remember sitting at Keith’s house (long before we were married) crying, AFRAID him and my brother would be drafted, AFRAID to go to bed, wondering what I would wake up to. I remember the eerie feeling of looking in the air, not a plane in the sky.

I was 19 years old, but that day I grew up.




Yesterday the kids skipped into church like always. They weren’t aware of the overwhelming sadness and sorrow that comes every September 11th. They didn’t have the fear that it could happen again. They were just going to church… It was any other day.

It makes me sad that “any other day” to them will NEVER be the same as “any other day” was to me 10 years ago. It is different now. Things have changed.




A dear friend {and mentor} of mine lost her son in the war. The anniversary of her son’s death is the same weekend of my boys birthday. It is always a somber reminder how the Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. 






Parents of fallen serviceman seek meaning in sacrifice




Last night our church CELEBRATED her son’s sacrifice and the over 6000 other soldiers and 1st responders that have given their lives since September 11th. We opened our HONOR COURT. It is an amazingly beautiful display of bronze stars and red and white pavers, inscribed with the 12 names of lives lost from our area. Over 1500 people came to honor our fallen heroes. It was an amazing experience I felt blessed to be apart of. 


We Will Never Forget...




No comments:

Post a Comment